The Southport School Archives holds the materials and history of the School’s life since 1901. With a School such as TSS, the assets, collections and records our Archives manage and continue to build upon based on the generosity from many Old Southportonians’, Staff and Friends of TSS is absolutely critical and valued immensely. This ensures our history and traditions of over a century remain at the forefront of the School’s operations and a crucial link for our current and future students.
The Southport School Archives aims to preserve the history of the school as a community by reflecting on the past and approaching the future.
Collection Policy Guidelines
- Acquisitions must meet the following criteria: Donations or contributions are to reflect the school history and individuals of the school community.
- A history is to be given relating to the donation/contribution.
- Acceptance will be based on the capacity to preserve and store the donation/contribution.
- Appropriate donation form to be completed and e-mailed to;
Debbie Turner, Archives
The Southport School, Winchester Street
SOUTHPORT QLD 4215
This is what Archives collect:
- Museum Documentation
- Coins and Stamps
Exhibits & Displays
Periodically special exhibits and displays are placed around the School to celebrate the life of TSS such as ANZAC Day, Old Southportonians’ Weekend, Generations Dinner, Reunions and Anniversary Events. Having a number of iconic buildings around the School campus, we also have a historical background available with story boards offering links to our past history.
With an extensive range of memorabilia, photographs, videos and artefacts within the Archives of The Southport School, a proposal to establish a permanent museum that encompasses all the treasures of the School is viewed as a valuable addition. Details are available on the proposal for any interested parties.
Did You Know?
Did You Know is a series of topical briefs, taken from the TSS Archives and circulated to the School Community periodically throughout the year. The topics cover the activities and interesting stories that have developed since the School was founded in 1901 and offer a unique insight into the history and traditions that The Southport School has built on as one of Australia’s leading GPS educational boarding schools.
- Did You Know – Kaiser House
- Did You Know – Merry Christmas
- Did You Know – The Chelmsford Cup
- Did You Know – Dining Room Dedication Plaque Meaning
- Did You Know – Tick Tock 1981
- Did You Know – Memorial Room Then and Now
- Did You Know – The School Tuckshop
- Did You Know – Dixon House
- Did You Know – The Ivy
- Did You Know – In 1909
- Did You Know – Technology in 1981
- Did You Know – TSS Motto
- Did You Know – Our trip to Tallebudgera
- Did You Know – Early 1900’s Southport
- Did You Know – In 1901
- Did You Know – Memories of 1918
- Did You Know – John Fraser
- Did You Know – Joey Melbourne
- Did You Know – The Prep Statue – The Transient Spirit
- Did You Know – In 1921 Thorold House Burnt Down
- Did You Know – By The Start of the Great War
- Did You Know – Tokio
- Did You Know – Charles Thorold
- Did You Know – Tell Tale
- Did You Know – Heritage Walk
- Did You Know – During the Second World War
- Did You Know – Memorial Library
- Did You Know – Cricket
- Did You Know – Rowing